Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The beginnings of a milestone

About a month ago we bought Kara her own potty. No plans for formal potty training yet, just wanted her to start geting comfortable with it. Well we've noticed that she usually squats when she's going to fill her diaper. So, Saturday when I saw her squating and I took off her pants and diaper and set her on her potty. She looked at me with a confused look, then got up, walked a few feet and started squating aging. Again I sat her back on her potty expliaing that is for her to go "poo-poo" (as she says it). She stayed sitting for about a minute and whne she got up she had "poopoo'd" in her potty. I clapped and cheered, which made her clap and cheer. When Jeff came out of the shower I told him and he clapped and cheered. Today we did it again, where I saw her squating and helped her get her diaper off and sit on the potty. This time she seemd to know better what was going on and stayed sitting until she was finished. Again I clapped and cheered and let her know how good it was that she used her potty. sorry if this is TMI for anyone, or not very interesting, but its VERY exciting for us. Especially with another baby on the way it would be so great if she could be done with diapers before September. So, if anyone has any tips or suggestions of books or videos that teach little ones about using a potty that would be super.

2 comments:

Myrnie said...

Wait, what? You're pregnant? I really need to stop by more often, or pay more attention at church- congratulations!

To answer your question, yes: it's a Kitchen Aid mixer. But I'm sure you could mix and knead by hand very easily. It would burn more calories too :)

The Kovar Family said...

Okay, so I saw your blog on facebook and figured that I would come and check out what the Fernandez's have been up to... and I see potty training is beginning!

We potty trained Charlie this past summer, and it was relatively painless. He was a bit older than Kara, but by boy standards - they usually potty train later anyway.

We did the same thing where we got a potty to get him used to the idea. We watched a potty movie that I ordered off Amazon, and he had a doll that he could have go potty with him.

We used sticker charts, and I gave him massive stickers at first - one for sitting on the potty, one for peeing in the potty, another if he went poo, one for flushing, one for wiping, one for washing hands... you get the picture. At the end of the sticker chart, (which took about a day to fill up at first,) he got a prize.

He was so excited by all the attention that it was a breeze. We went cold turkey - no pullups. made a big deal of buying Big Boy underwear, and then I started by taking him in every twenty minutes, and worked my way up to two hours. We dedicated a week to this at home before really going out. He only ever had one accident away from home.

Now we are working on nighttime...